To help you legally maximise your tax refund from your investment property, we’ll need the following information:


  • Property Address
  • Legal owner(s) and percentage of ownership
  • Date purchased
  • Date property started earning rental income
  • Number of days rented this financial year
  • Number of days used for private purposes (e.g. Holiday house, AirBnb)


  • Gross rental income before any deductions
  • Water usage charged to tenants
  • Any other income


  • Advertising for tenants
  • Bank charges
  • Body corporate fees
  • Cleaning
  • Council rates
  • Electricity (While rented or available for rent)
  • Gas (While rented or available for rent)
  • Gardening and lawn mowing
  • In-house audio/video service charges
  • Insurance – building, contents, landlord
  • Interest on loans
  • Land tax
  • Legal expenses (tenant related)
  • Mortgage discharge expenses
  • Pest control
  • Property agent’s fees and commissions
  • Capital Works (claimed at 2% of the cost per year)
  • Quantity surveyor’s fees
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Secretarial and bookkeeping fees
  • Security patrol fees
  • Servicing costs e.g. smoke alarms
  • Stationery and postage
  • Telephone calls and rental
  • Tax agent fees
  • Water charges
  • Property related purchases and any other expenses
New item
Kedwell & Co are family-owned, registered tax agents and are a Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) accounting practice.

3 Ways To Do Your Tax Return

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation
Registered Tax Agent
Tax Agent 25651700
Kedwell & Co are a Xero Silver Partner
Kedwell & Co is a CPA Practice